USA Study Visa - Application Procedure
Do you know the United States of America has seven of the top ten universities in the world? It is home to number of international students in the world popular worldwide for its quality of teaching, unique curriculum, multi cultural environment and loads of opportunities. The education system in the US is most flexible, versatile and developed. It’s no surprise that it is the number one destination for international students seeking to study abroad.
US study visa
The US government gives an open opportunity to all potential students to pursue a course of study in country but the primary prerequisite is a student visa. The visa depends on the type of course you want to study in American university.
Following is an overview of three different types of student visa:-
F-1 Student Visa: – given to those who are keen to study in a recognized university or college or want to study English at an English Language Institute.
J Exchange Visa: – given to those who are coming to the country under the academic exchange program including university and school study.
M Student Visa: – it is for non-academic or vocational study or training in the US
What are the documents required to apply for the US study visa?
The first and foremost step is to apply and be accepted by a US university or college duly certified by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP). Once you have been accepted, you will get a Form I-20 from the institution’s international student office. It is a paper record of your submitted information in the database called the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).
When applying for student visa, you will generally require following documents:-
- A valid passport with atleast six months validity beyond the period you intend to stay in the US
- Formal acceptance letter from SEVP approved university or college along with Form I-20
- Application fee payment receipt
- Non immigrant visa application form and the Form DS-160 confirmation page
- Latest passport size photograph in the requested format
- Academic documents such as transcripts, certificate, diplomas, or degrees
- Evidence that you required funds to manage your expenses throughout the period you intend to stay in the country this must include study cost and accommodation
- Financial undertaking by a responsible sponsor to cover your expenses
- Evidence that you intend to leave the country once you have completed your course of study
- Any other document asked by the immigration office
Why your US student visa is denied?
There are number of factors that may prevent you from securing a dream visa. Some of them are as follow:-
- You have applied late after your course study has begin
- Lack of required financial resources
- Fail to clear the security check
- Inadmissibility due to criminal background
- Failure in proving that the applicant intends to return home once his/her course of study gets complete
Can international students work while studying in the United States?
The cost of studying in the US is very high. The fact is it is one of the most expensive countries in the world. Working while studying helps to reduce the cost of education and also provide international work experience. International students often question can they work while studying in the United States and the answer is yes but there are few restrictions.
International students with F-1 and M-1 visa are not allowed to work off campus until they finish their first academic years that too in specified training programs. On campus jobs are students oriented such as working in the college student center, library or cafeteria.
After completing first academic year international students can gain employment through programs designed for international students seeking opportunities such as Optional Practical Training (OPT), Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Optional Practical Training Extension, and Curricular Practical Training (CPT).
American degree always has a special allure and has been drawing talented international students singes ages. Studying in an American university or college allows invaluable academic, personal and professional growth, and offer wide range of opportunities once international student complete a degree.